Easy Directions for Washing Modern Cloth Nappies
By: Karen Jackman On:28 November 2016
How to Wash Cloth Nappies and Inserts
Easy Directions for Washing Modern Cloth Nappies & Inserts
- First run a cold pre-wash (or a short cycle with no detergent).
- Then do a regular wash in hot water (60 Degrees Celsius).
- If you have hard water in your area, try adding some natural epsom salts. It's a natural softener.
- Don't use a sanitise cycle on any products with velcro type closures or elastic.
- Rinse nappies in lots of water to avoid build-up of detergent, bacteria and urine. I can't stress the importance of making sure you rinse your nappies and inserts. And don't overdo it with the detergent. Less is more!
- Dry in the dryer or outside on a clothesline in the sun (check the label of your product, as some products should only be hung to dry). Sunlight is a natural brightener and disinfectant!
- Once washed, your nappies should not smell like urine or detergent! If they do, chances are you have a residue problem.
Of course we would suggest using a zero residue detergent, such as our specially formulated Kindy Ecobaby Cloth Nappy Washing Powder! Also choose a detergent that does not contain any of the following additives, as they can create residue problems. Detergent residue will lead to leaking, absorbency issues and stinky covers.
- Fabric softeners
- Natural oils
- UV brighteners
- Stain guard ingredients
- Enzymes (they will not affect performance, but may cause rashes on some babies’ skin).
Please add your comments and experiences below!